Recently, your son or daughter was assigned a Google Apps for Education (GAFE) account to enhance the way we use technology and share information within and beyond our school community. Currently all grade 3-8 students are utilizing these accounts. We implemented Gmail into our district in 2009 and have added additional educational resources thereafter.
Essentially, GAFE is a cloud based learning platform allowing teachers and students to create a range of documents online, email, share calendars and unlimited data to be accessed at home and school on any device.
GAFE allows us to collaborate and learn more effectively through the use of technology, and offer a range of new learning opportunities for teachers and students.
Further information about GAFE can be found here http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/education/benefits.html
Facts about Google Apps for Education
- GAFE is used by many of the world’s leading educational institutions, including universities, secondary and primary schools.
- GAFE is completely free for schools and does not contain advertising anywhere within it.
- Many of GAFE apps such as Google Docs and Gmail are familiar to many students and parents.
- The school account is only capable of emailing other students within the Medford Lakes School district as well as any staff member; these accounts are unable to communicate with any other outside email addresses
How will Google Apps for Education enhance my child’s learning opportunities?
- GAFE allows teachers and students the ability to collaborate on documents simultaneously. This type of collaboration has been impossible in the past.
- GAFE works on any device. This allows our students to continue learning beyond the classroom and the ability to access their content at any time.
- Students and teachers can work in teams, sharing calendars, documents and collaborating ideas to learn more effectively.
What should I be aware of?
- GAFE allows students to communicate and store information in both public and private spaces online.
- Unlike many other web services GAFE acknowledges it’s users as the owners of content they produce and store.
- GAFE does not share any data or user information with any other party unlike other Google products such as Gmail.
- Your child will be provided an email address as part of the GAFE package:
- Self-made password of at least 8 characters
- GAFE terms of service can be read here. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/terms/education_terms.html
We will be working with students to educate them around using GAFE in a productive and responsible manner. We also feel it necessary for parents to be aware of new technologies such as GAFE and encourage you to be proactive discussing and exploring it with your child.
Teacher of Educational Technology
Medford Lakes Student Email/Internet Usage Contract
MEDFORD LAKES SCHOOL DISTRICT – Neeta School
By signing below, I state that I understand and will follow the Medford Lakes Student Email Acceptable Use Policy. I understand that my student account, as well as email is a privilege, and that it is intended for educational purposes only. Also, I understand the MLSD may take away or temporarily suspend my rights to my email if I break the rules of the Email Acceptable Use Policy. When using my school account, as well as my email, I understand that anything that I write or receive can and may be viewed by administrators, teachers, parents and the Board of Education.
Terms and Conditions of the MLSD Student Email Acceptable Use Policy:
- Always use the Internet for educational purposes or to complete school assigned work
- Always follow the instructions of the supervising staff member
- Always be polite, and do not be abusive to others in your online communication (email, chat, Google comments, etc.)
- Never log onto another students account even if you know a username and password
- Never disrupt, harass, annoy or bully any other users via email or chat
- Never attempt to contact individuals outside of our school district
- Never log into your personal email account in school unless instructed to do so.
- Never access or transmit inappropriate or restricted information.
- Never access violent games or those not educational in nature. Note: All games are not blocked thru our school filter. You are to be responsible and work on sites provided by the school or your teacher while in class or in the lab during Computer Lab, Advisory, Study Skills, etc.
- Never attempt to disguise your identity while online
- Do not access inappropriate content. The school’s student e-mail service complies with the Children’s Internet Protection Act by filtering e-mail for inappropriate content. Inappropriate content may result in disciplinary action.
- Respect and protect all computer equipment, software, and other information tools. Do not break headphones, damage monitors, damage cameras, pull keys from keyboards or Chromebooks.
- Treat all people with respect, never use information that will cause or appear to cause harm to others
- Do not use inappropriate language or images in emails or discussion
- Never attempt to buy or sell anything online. This includes sites like Ebay, Craigslist, etc.
Penalties for Improper Use in accordance with MLSD Discipline Code
Intentional Inappropriate use of Computer/Internet
Including but not limited to tampering in school programs, misuse of Internet (i.e. IM, DM,, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat), “hacking”, and other inappropriate use of school accounts. As stated in the Internet User Agreement each student is responsible for his/her use of school computers.
Minimum of two detentions and/or suspension of computer/Internet use for up to two cycles
Minimum 1 day out-of-school suspension and possible suspension of computer/Internet use for remainder of school year
Google Username and Password
Medford Lakes Homepage Username:
(firstname.lastname, for example- bob.smith)
Full Email Address:
Password (must be at least 8 characters, for example - neeta135! )